Friday, January 1, 2010


I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation. C.S. Lewis, Reflections on the Psalms






I’ve been blogging now for a year and I have used C.S. Lewis as inspiration for writing many times (I wouldn’t blame the Lewis Estate if they hated this). For a ‘Sunday writer’ like me, I’d be flattered if my small blog deserves any attention at all. At least, I now know how to use suspension points without offending Umberto Eco. Getting a hit is not the point why I created this blog. Though I post sparingly, I am satisfied with the blog not because I created a chamber to stroke and echo my ego but because I know what’s it like inside the bubble [Psalms 39:5].  Again, C.S. Lewis said it best,


It is frustrating to have discovered a new author and not to be able to tell anyone how good he is; to come suddenly, at the turn of the road, upon some mountain valley of unexpected grandeur and then to have to keep silent because the people with you care for it no more than a tin can in the ditch; to hear a good joke and find no one to share it with (the perfect hearer died a year ago)...But how if one could really and fully praise even such things to perfection – utterly ‘get out’ in poetry or music or paint the upsurge of appreciation which almost bursts you?

…and happy souls to whom this happens often.

No comments: