Thursday, April 1, 2010

A POST NOT STRICTLY NECESSARY

Happy work is best done by the man who takes his long-term plans somewhat lightly and works from moment to moment “as to the Lord”. It is only our daily bread that we are encouraged to ask for. The present is the only time in which any duty can be done or any grace received. C.S. LEWIS, The Weight of Glory

My new work assignment hasn't been giving me the greatest hours for blogging. Not even in the brackish borderland of work and play. But thanks to contemporary music that keeps me from having a ‘cubicle fever’. Here are some of my picks (I believe Christian music publishers are not that greedy so I highlighted portions of the lyrics here) :

"Plenty of Paper" by Eisley. The title is perfect to the Dilberts of the world cramming for powerpoint presentation. An irresistibly perfect song that can be easily mistaken as Sixpense-non-the-Richer album cut but this one is more poetic - full of playful imagery and fanciful narratives. You will get tugged along by the gorgeous melody.


I cut the moon in half
And stuck a piece to my hair
It made the back of my head glow
Golden yellow and then I took
Ten stars on sticks and placed them in my small metal
Bucket and I gave the other half of the moon to you
Ooh, so you wouldn't forget me while I'm gone…

And wouldn't we be attractive
Riding in our shiny motor cars
With eyeglasses full of stars
And plenty of paper for scenery paintings


“Not Alone” by Seabird /  "Lead Me" by Sanctus Real. These piano-driven /melodic songs  about forgiveness and hope/marriage and parenthood are intertwined lyrically. Perfect for baby Sam's arrival.

At arms length you held your spouse and children
Your lack of grace, so nearly killed them…

Back home to find the garden as you left it
Roses in full bloom, so glad you invested
So you found this room couldn’t hold you down
Step through these walls and listen for the sound/

 So Father, give me the strength to be everything I’m called to be
 Oh, Father, show me the way to lead them
 Won’t You lead me?
To lead them with strong hands
To stand up when they can’t
Don’t want to leave them hungry for love
 Chasing things that I could give up
 I’ll show them I’m willing to fight
And give them the best of my life
 So we can call this a home
 Lead me, ‘cause I can’t do this alone  
Father, lead me, ‘cause I can’t do this alone 

 "True Faith" by Anberlin / "Redeemer" by Kutless . Both are cover songs of well-known classics but these are the best versions so far.  Perfectly done and  fitting backdrop for the Lent.

"What Faith Can Do” by Kutless.  Reminds me of a Kris Allen song but this pleasantly melodic song is more profound and very encouraging.

Everybody falls sometimes
You gotta find the strength to rise
From the ashes and make a new beginning
Anyone can feel the ache
You think it’s more than you can take
But you’re stronger, stronger than you know

And don’t you give up now
The sun will soon be shining
You gotta face the clouds
To find the silver lining

I’ve seen dreams that move the mountains
Hope that doesn’t ever end
Even when the sky is falling
I’ve seen miracles just happen
Silent prayers get answered
Broken hearts become brand new
That’s what faith can do

It doesn’t matter what you’ve heard
Impossible is not a word
It’s just a reason for someone not to try
Everybody’s scared to death
You may decide to take that step
Out on the water
But it’ll be all right

Life is so much more
Than what your eyes are seeing
You will find your way
If you keep believing

Overcome the odds
When you don’t have a chance
(That’s what faith can do)
When the world says you can’t
It will tell you that it can

No comments: